
Serving the Biddeford Pool Community Since 1914
Thanks to our Volunteers!!
All churches (especially summer chapels) rely on the kindness of neighbors and St. Martin’s is blessed with tons of talent.
Please contact us if you’d like to get involved!
Altar Guild: Susan Reardon, Olivia Crudgington, Helen Reilly
Flowers: Dabney McCoy, Nancy Williams, LeeLee Gioia, Beatrijs Williams, Anne Umphrey, Bethany Williams, Sarah Grey, Becky Marshall, Fran MacMaster, Lucie Dean, Susan Reardon, Sarah Williams, Laura Hyde, Olivia Crudgington, Gail Camalier, Kelly Wetter, Caroline Williams, Helen Reilly, Fran MacMaster, Biz Carey, Madeleine DeVries, Melinda Davis, Anne Ilyinsky, Meg Carter, Carolin Buttrick, Catherine Driscoll, Lloyd Burdette, Christina McCoy
Picnics & Evensong: Susan Reardon, Fran MacMaster, Kelly Wetter
Buildings and Grounds: Mason Williams Clint Marshall, , Dean Hawthorne, Jonathan MacPhee
Music: Lucie Dean, Martin Hoke, Susan Reardon
Carillon and Technology: Clint Marshall
Finance and Investments: Clifford Foster, Bruce Williams, Bill Umphrey, Chris Dougherty
Tributes: Sandy Guthrie, Olivia Crudgington, Mary Blake, Clifford Foster
Executive Committee: Ed Reardon, Fran MacMaster, Clifford Foster, Mason Williams, Katherine Hoar, Stephen Fontein, Bruce Williams
Memorial Flowers
A Beginning Story
The History of St. Martin’s in the Field
“The cornerstone of the new Episcopal church at Biddeford Pool to be named "St. Martins in the Field" will be laid on Sunday, July 19, 1914, at 11 o'clock.
Services will be conducted by the Rev. Philip Schuyler and all persons are cordially invited to attend.
The establishment of an Episcopal Church society at the Pool took definite form last summer, when services were conducted each Sunday through July and August and appeal for contributions for a permanent building fund was met with a generous response not only from members of the summer colony, but also from residents of Biddeford who recognized the demand for an Episcopal church in a growing community where so many members of that church pass summer after summer.
A very charming and commanding site near the old burying ground, overlooking the village, the harbor and the fields, was donated and work on the building, for which Mr. Wright F. Emmons contractor, has so far progressed as to make possible the holding of the ceremony tomorrow, within the walls of the church itself.
“Mr. George A. Scamman of Saco has already completed the work on the foundation with the exception of the cornerstone which-will be placed by Canon Schuyler during tomorrow's services.
The committee having charge of the building of the new church have been residents of the Pool for many years and comprises the following: Mrs. Simon , Mrs J. H. Bradford, Mrs. Henry Dibblee, Mrs. T. C. Poster, Mrs. Howard Gillette, Mrs. T. W. Harper, Mrs. Goodman King, Mrs. Thomas Niedvinghaus, Rev. Philip Schuyler,
On the cornerstone are these words: "Ad Maiorem Dei Cloviam" (To the greater glory of God) And it is the wish of all those identified with this Episcopal Church at the Pool that when completed the doors of St. Martins in the Field Shall be open always to all, of whatever creed.”
From a newspaper clipping of unknown origin, July, 1914





